In line with BAPS and BARD, SAPS is postponing their meeting to 2021
Please join us in beautiful Bruges. It is a wonderfully maintained flat cobble-stoned city – very easy to walk around. SAPS will start with a dining experience on Tuesday 6th July at Patrick Devos – sparkling wine and canapes on the patio, followed by a 3 course meal in a private area with appropriate wines and coffee/tea with petit fours.
On Wednesday morning we will start with a Historical Medical guided tour of Alms Houses, the Convent and the Old St. John’s Hospital Museum and Pharmacy. We will then take our own canal boat (which can hold 30 people) for a 30 min guided tour of enchanting Bruges from the water. Lunch is booked at a canal side restaurant next door to the Conference Centre. We can join the afternoon session of BAPS, have tea with the delegates and then join the evening Welcome/Presidential Reception of drinks and canapes on the top floors of the Concert Hall in ‘t Zand Square with fabulous views over Bruges.
Nick and I have booked into the historic Grand Hotel Casselbergh, the Conference Hotel, (with its sauna and hammam) which was Charles’s II residence when in exile. The modern Crowne Plaza (with sauna and swimming pool) is nearby. The Ibis Brugge Centrum and other hotels along the ‘t Zand Square are near the Conference Centre and cheaper. There are numerous restaurants on ‘t Zand Square (‘t Putje) and on the way back via Market square (Panier d’Or)
Please book your hotels early because July is height of tourist season in Bruges. You can choose from the following options. The exact timing of events will be confirmed closer to the time. The last date for registration will be 29th June 2021.
- Patrick Devos is a fine dining restaurant with an excellent reputation and delightful period atmosphere. Tuesday pm 6th July £70 per person
- Take a walking tour of Bruges including admission to the Old St John’s Hospital Museum and Pharmacy. Please note Bruges is largely cobblestoned. Wednesday am 7th July £25 per person
- For a different view of the city, take a gentle canal boat ride in the old town centre. Wednesday am 7th July £15 per person
- Lunch at the B-Inn (adjacent to Site Oud Sint Jan, the main Congress venue). Enjoy a set menu of Bruges favourites whilst overlooking the canals. (Payable on the day) Wednesday midday 7th July
- Congress Wednesday afternoon 7th July and the Presidential Reception (does not include lunch). Our venue for the Presidential Reception will be the Concert Hall with its panoramic view of the city. (Drinks and canapes only) £45 per person
- Joint Gala Dinner with BARD at the Huisbrouwerij De Halve Maan (Half Moon Brewery). Enjoy traditional Flemish bar games and local brew followed by a sit down meal of traditional Flemish cuisine served family style. Round off the evening with live music and a lively dance floor until the early hours. Friday 9th July £85 per person.
Why not stay on after SAPS and enjoy other sites and museums in Bruges (see Evelyn Ong’s “Your Guide to Bruges” on the website). Join in the Gala dinner at Brewery De Halve Maan on Friday evening when Munther Haddad takes over as President from Richard Stewart.
Looking forward to seeing you in Bruges,